Wallesy Hub Decarbonisation – Merseytravel – Liverpool City Region
RPS undertook the full Design, Build & Installation of Heating Systems and Building Improvements to Wallasey Hub on behalf of our client Merseytravel.
Merseytravel is the Transport Executive Body of the Halton, Knowsley, Liverpool, St Helens, Sefton and Wirral Combined Authority operating as the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority. In addition to having this remit it also retains its powers as a Passenger Transport Executive.
The Wallasey Asset Management building is a two storey structure situated alongside the Kingsway Tunnel approach road in Wallasey, Wirral. The building has been in situ since circa 1973 and for the most part remains the same as at construction. A mezzanine floor was added to the building in 2012, occupying the previously unutilized second storey space above the workshops. The current first floor offices were originally used as stores in
addition to those still remaining on the ground floor of the building beneath.
Full works included:
– Heating & Hot Water Upgrades
– Roofing & Insulation Upgrades
– External Window & Doors
– External Wall Insulation
-New PV Systems
– Full M&E works
– Cavity Wall Insulation
These works are were funded by SALIX and RPS provided all required reporting information to support the ongoing requirements of the funding application throughout the project life to ensure that all funding was fully secured. RPS provided a SALIX funding independent specialist to support these activities. This was initiated to meet current demands in climate change targets- this refurbishment project was deigned to meet these challenges and to achieve the targets set out in the funding application.
RPS coordinated the entire contract works with the ongoing activities within the offices and workshops which shall be fully operational during the period of the contract, and supervise the works including all CDM safety duties, which also included the Merseytravel maintenance teams.
Works consisted of:
Heating & Hot Water Systems
- The existing gas fired radiant heating system within the store and workshop area was removed and replaced with convector heaters sized to operate at a 5k temperature difference – linked to the BMS.
- The heating pipework and radiators were replaced and the relatively new convectors retained but supplemented with new as required to keep up with the heat loss.
- The exiting 250WP photovoltaic panels were replaced with new panels with outputs =/< 350WP . Panels are linked to a battery storage facility which ensures power is optimised and used appropriately or discharged to the grid. Panel output is also be monitored.
- The existing hot water cylinder was replaced with new and relocated to remove the requirement for a service trench.
- All associated Electrical works to facilitate the installation of the heating and hot water systems
- BMS and Control systems associated with the new equipment.
- Production of a Thermal Model to validate the designed and as installed energy performance of the completed works and to support the SALIX funding reporting criteria
Building Improvement Works
- For all roof areas, remove; existing EPDM and insulation sectionally back to the original waterproofing membrane, waterproofing Flashings, all existing roof lights, photovoltaic cells.
- Inspect & Report on the condition of all existing rainwater goods
- Temporarily remove all equipment that is to remain and is penetrating or sitting on the roof including the handrail system and on completion of roofing works, was re-positioned on new roof
- Install new roofing system including all upstands, penetrations, lightning protection .
- Replacement roof covering and insulation system to meet the criteria set out in the SALIX funding application.
- Install External Insulated Cladding and Render system to 1st Floor Elevation
- Installation of new Photovoltaic Panels and associated equipment
- Removal of existing external doors and replace with new
- Removal of existing windows and replace with new
This project has delivered some impressive carbon savings for our client and based on figures to date- the results the retrofit is obtaining is overdelivering in expectations. Work have obtained excellent feedback from our client and achieved high levels of KPI’s.
The project was completed on time and within budget.